BAVIDGE

Chat about football matters whether or not they relate to Peterhead FC
ThirdMcIntyreO'Hara
Youth Team Captain
Supports: Peterhead

BAVIDGE

Post by ThirdMcIntyreO'Hara » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:54 pm

Sad news on teletext that Bav will be missing on Saturday due to going to Australia to work. It does not say how long he will be away for. Hope we don't resort to lumping high balls up to Linn & Wood again!
The best forward line EVER!

Kaiser's Chief
Reserve Team Sub

Post by Kaiser's Chief » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:14 pm

It'll be Linn and Kaiser up front on Saturday I reckon.

Also says Neil Stephen's move to the Mo is back on.

balmoor-blue
Youth Team Captain

Post by balmoor-blue » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:29 pm

may as well stick Gilfillan up front - he's been tried everywhere else!!

Kaiser's Chief
Reserve Team Sub

Post by Kaiser's Chief » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:51 am

Don't give Pele ideas! :x

Gilfillan should be left back.......in the changing room. :D

Poor joke, I know.

Bluetooner
Reserve Team Captain

Post by Bluetooner » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:50 pm

Not good news at all :( although we should have enough cover that he wont be all that badly missed. Maybe this is why i have heard some rumours around about players that are coming in the january transfer window :shock:

edited to add:- Cowdenbeath have sold Gomis to Dundee Utd, maybe they will take Gilfillan back? :shock:
COME ON THE BLUE TOON

Barry

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:21 pm

From Friday's Evening Express (08/12

"Peterhead gaffer Steve Paterson hopes to get at least one new face in for tomorrow's Scottish Cup tie with Ayr United.

The Blue Toon host their Second Division rivals at Balmoor, and the former Dons boss wants more experience in his squad.

"We are looking to add more experience and there are a few players I am following up," said Paterson.

"It is normal when a new manager comes in that he assesses his squad and looks for strengths and weaknesses.

"I have identified a few different lads playing at different levels but it is a case of wheeling and dealing."

Paterson has enjoyed success in the Scottish Cup over the years, including Inverness Caley Thistle's famous win at Celtic Park in 2000, and he wants to repeat that with the Blue Toon.

He said: "The cup is a special occasion, and it can be a great adventure. I have had great times with Huntly and Inverness and I am desperate to do well in my first cup run at Peterhead

Bluetooner
Reserve Team Captain

Post by Bluetooner » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:20 pm

[quote="popeye"]From Friday's Evening Express (08/12

[quote]

1)Calum McDonald On Loan From Dundee Again
COME ON THE BLUE TOON

Barry

Kaiser's Chief
Reserve Team Sub

Post by Kaiser's Chief » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:24 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x

Cost us on the last day against Morton 3 1/2 years ago.

Went racing up the park leaving an empty space which Bannerman took advantage of.

If we play a back 3 against Ayr with McDonald in it, it's effectively a back 2.

Bluetooner
Reserve Team Captain

Post by Bluetooner » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:34 pm

NewEastStander wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x

Cost us on the last day against Morton 3 1/2 years ago.

Went racing up the park leaving an empty space which Bannerman took advantage of.

If we play a back 3 against Ayr with McDonald in it, it's effectively a back 2.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I think its an excellent signing :D
COME ON THE BLUE TOON

Barry

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:18 am

Sorry NES, but you are ridiculously ott criticising the signing of McDonald on a singular incident during a game in 2003. He may well have made an attacking foray 'up the park' but it should be remembered we required to WIN the game
The winning goal, was, as I remember scored from the left side the box and shot across Mathers after Bannerman from about 12 yards, after he had worked a neat one - two
It was a well worked score and we some times have to face up to the fact there are goals scored against us when no blame can be attached to our own players and credit given to our opponents
It is my humble opinion McDonald was one our better, if not best Dundee imports I also seem to have it mind that he scored a cracker against Stirling Albion (6-0) This goal followed a 'mad rush' up the park towards the Catto Dive end

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:22 am

A brief report of the Morton game mentioned in the previous post

Morton 1 - 0 Peterhead
Scottish Football League Division 3
Cappielow Saturday 10th May 2003
A bumper crowd of 8,497 fans saw Morton's Scott Bannerman score the only goal against Peterhead to win the Third Division title.
The visitors, who started the day in second place, just one point behind Morton, ended the campaign in fourth place - after wins for East Fife and Albion Rovers.
A nervy start saw both sides miss scoring chances. Chris Millar and Eddy Annand being the culprits for Morton, while Peterhead's Douglas Cameron and Alex Bone also went close.
Former Hibs and Airdrie winger Bannerman then struck after 54 minutes.
The intensity of the contest increased dramatically in the final 15 minutes when Bone was dismissed after receiving two yellow cards in quick succession.
That made it more difficult for Peterhead to grab an equaliser but Kevin Tindal and Andy Roddy never gave up trying and the home fans were chewing their nails until the final whistle.

Morton: Coyle, Collins, Bottiglieri, Henderson, Gaughan, Marco Maisano, Millar, Bannerman, Williams, John Maisano, Annand.
Subs: McDonald, Uotinen, Cannie, Hawke, McGurn.

Peterhead: Mathers, MacDonald, McSkimming, Raeside, Perry, Kevin Bain, Tindal, Stewart, Cameron, Bone, Roddie.
Subs: Johnston, Simpson, McLean, Burns, Farquhar.
Referee: J Rowbotham Att 8457

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:22 pm

Is there any confirmation of McDonald signing and if so from what source? There is no mention in the P & today

Kaiser's Chief
Reserve Team Sub

Post by Kaiser's Chief » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:46 pm

Sorry guys, you won't change my mind on this one.

I'm all for full backs getting forward but not to the point where it leaves gaping holes at the back. The major criticism of certain full-backs such as Roberto Carlos and Cafu was that they got forward to the point where their defence began to look vulnerable (I know Real's defence is vulnerable anyway).

When that goal against Morton went in, the first thing that popped into my head was that McDonald was out of position. Bannerman had a free run at goal and after dominating the first half that was the end of us.

Yes, he got 3 goals in his time here and yes, I remember his goal against Stirling (one of my all time favourite games at Balmoor) but defensively he wasn't that good. Full-backs should concentrate on defending first and foremost.

What you've got to remember was that our other 3 defenders Raeside, Perry and McSkimming didn't have a great deal of pace so when McDonald went on one of his ventures forward, we were susceptible to a quick break away - and so it proved.

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:55 pm

Not attempting to change your mind NES "Convince a man against his will - he's of the same opinion still"
Agree your 'slow' comment re Raeside, Perry and McSkimming and if your opinion on McDonald is correct is it not a minor miracle that we reached a last game decider with such a suspect ’back four’?
The way the game is played nowadays requires wing backs to move forward as the occasion arises (Dougie’s goal last week) Surely it is basic tactics to allow cover for such eventualities.
We lost at Cappilow because we could not score more than Morton’s once. The blame can be directed to an area of the team away from defenders and it is churlish to blame one player for that defeat in an effort to justify a poor opinion of the player
The time span has moved on since then and it is reasonable to assume that McDonald, with the benefit of full-time training at Dens will also have ‘come on ‘ and especially form NES’s lowly opinion of the. lad.
If Mr Paterson is happy having McDonald, then so am I.
Pity the ‘welcome back’ on these pages is not more positive and less critical of a youngster’s form from 2003-04

The.signing is confirmed on the Dundee site

Nev
The Boss

Post by Nev » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:49 pm

As I remember, when Macdonald was signed by Ian Wilson more than four years ago, it was as a central defender. Never one to struggle for a right back ( :roll: ), he quickly shunted Callum out there - with instructions to push up whenever possible - and Callum went on to become (and probably still is) the best right fullback/wingback we've seen since coming into the league.

He may have shortcomings, he may have failings, but everyone does.

Although the comments on here are pre-match the signing was confirmed on both the Dundee website and our own last night.

Kaiser's Chief
Reserve Team Sub

Post by Kaiser's Chief » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:06 pm

I honestly think if McNally was given a proper run at right back, he would prove himself to be a better bet than McDonald.

Nev
The Boss

Post by Nev » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:13 pm

NewEastStander wrote:I honestly think if McNally was given a proper run at right back, he would prove himself to be a better bet than McDonald.
I'd agree with that :wink:

The point was that Macdonald came to the club and did reasonably well in a position to which he wasn't accustomed. If, as seems likely, he plays in his natural position in the centre of defence, he can (hopefully) prove himself o be better than shown in his previous spell.

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:34 pm

McNally is an improvement on Shand and that's as far as i'm prepared to go.

scotty broon
Reserve Team Captain

Post by scotty broon » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:32 pm

popeye wrote:McNally is an improvement on Shand and that's as far as i'm prepared to go.
In fairness to Calvin Shand , he was a central defender playing at Right back.
What is it with not signing a proper R/B?

Nev
The Boss

Post by Nev » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:41 pm

As far as I'm aware, Shand has always been a right back :?